is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Iowa Court Records is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are Inmate Records?

Iowa inmate records are government-issued documents that contain information about people currently incarcerated in the state. The data is gathered from correctional facilities, including jails and state-run prisons, county detention centers, and state penitentiaries. Iowa inmate records contain the following information:

  • The inmate’s personal information such as the full name, known aliases, date of birth, gender, and nationality
  • Arrest and booking details
  • Charges
  • Court information
  • Bail/bond conditions
  • The date of arrest and prospective release dates

By Section 22.1 of the Iowa Open Records Law, Iowa inmate records are public records. Therefore, members of the public have the right to inspect and copy Iowa inmate records, and also disseminate the record or the information found in it. Section 904.601(1) of the Iowa Code also confirms this provision.

The central repository for Iowa inmate records is the Iowa Department of Corrections. Interested persons may also obtain records of persons incarcerated in Iowa county and city jails from the relevant Sheriff’s Offices. 

How To Find An Inmate In Iowa?

Interested persons may find an inmate in Iowa using the Iowa Department of Corrections’ Offender Search tool. Users are to provide at least the first or last name of the inmate. Other additional information that helps to filter the search includes the middle name, date of birth, sex, offender number, location, offense, and county where the inmate is committed. 

After entering the required details, the search result produces a list of all the inmates that match the provided information, including the date of birth, gender, and offender number. To view the full information on the inmate in question, click on the highlighted subject’s name. This reveals the inmate’s location, county of commitment, offense, date of commitment, and probable release date. 

Information on inmates that are in custody at an Iowa county or city jail may also be found on the websites of the relevant county’s sheriff’s office. For instance, the Sheriff’s Office in Polk County provides a list of all the inmates currently in the custody of the sheriff on its website. The Scott County Sheriff’s Office also has a list of all current inmates and those in custody within the last seven days.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In Iowa?

Interested persons may find inmates incarcerated in a federal facility in Iowa on the Federal Bureau of Prisons website. Users may search the database either by the inmate’s name or number. To find a federal inmate by name, provide the inmate’s first and last name. Narrow down the search by including the sex, race, and age of the federal inmate.

On the other hand, if searching by number, provide any of the following numbers to find the federal inmate:

  • The inmate’s Bureau of Prisons register number
  • D.C. Department of Corrections number, 
  • The Federal Bureau of Investigation number, or 
  • The Immigration and Naturalization Services number

Note, the Bureau of Prisons database only contains information on persons who were incarcerated in or after 1982. To find records of inmates that were incarcerated before 1982, visit the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The NARA’s database has information on inmates incarcerated from 1870 to 1981.

How Do I Find Inmate Records In Iowa?

Interested persons may obtain an Iowa inmate record by printing a copy of the information found on the result page on the Iowa Department of Corrections Offender Search portal. This page provides primary details about the inmate. However, this printed copy may not suffice for court use or as a legal document since it is not a certified copy. Interested persons may direct requests for official copies of inmate records to the Iowa Department of Corrections.

To request an Iowa inmate record, contact the Department of Corrections by phone on 515–725–5701, by email to, or fill out the request form. When filling the request form, provide the name and email address where the response may be sent. Ensure to provide as much of the inmate’s information to aid the Department’s search for the record.

For inmate records on those incarcerated in county or city jails, contact the specific county sheriff’s office or the facility’s administrative staff where the inmate is held.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple records. To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In Iowa?

The Iowa Department of Corrections has centralized banking systems for offenders. All funds deposited for offender spending or commissary accounts are received and regulated by the Fort Dodge Correctional Facility (FDCF). To send money to an inmate in Iowa, mail the intended amount to the following address:

IDOC Offender Fiduciary Account
1550 L Street, Suite B
Fort Dodge, IA 50501

The deposit must be made using a money order or cashier’s check made payable to the IDOC offender Fiduciary Account. Note, Iowa holding facilities do not accept money orders or cashier’s checks in person. The deposit must be sent by mail. Make sure to include the inmate’s name, offender number, as well as the depositor’s name and complete address on the money order or cashier’s check. The writing must be legible. 

The Iowa Department of Corrections will return any deposits that do not meet the stipulated guidelines. The inmates only receive deposits that are consistent with the existing institution’s policies. 

Friends and family may also send money to inmates in Iowa through electronic fund transfers. Persons can deposit money electronically to an inmate’s account using the Access Corrections deposit services, JPay services, or Western Union. To send money using Access Corrections, visit the website for deposit rates beginning at $3.49. Alternatively, call 1(866)345–1884 to make a debit or credit or card transaction over the phone for $4.49.

Access Corrections also allows senders to create a CorrLinks account from which money may be deposited directly to the inmate. For persons who do not have a debit or credit card, deposit at a CashPayToday location for a flat fee of $6.95 or at an ACE Cash Express location at a flat cost of $5.95. Note, there is a maximum limit of $900 for each cash transaction when paying using ACE Cash Express.

To send money to an inmate in Iowa using JPay, make the transaction online on the website, by phone at 1–800–574–5729, or in person. Payments made over the phone cost between $4.95 and $11.95 based on the amount deposited. When paying online, use a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card. The charges range from $3.95 to $10.95, depending on the deposit amount. 

For walk-in transactions, visit any MoneyGram agent location. The charge for each transaction is $8.95, and users can send up to $5,000 per transaction. 

The Department also accepts transfers from Western Union. Send the money via the Western Union website, by phone at 1–800–634–3422, or in person at any Western Union site. The system used is “Quick Collect.” Depositors must use the “Pay to” as the Iowa Department of Corrections. Use IA as “State” and IOWADOC as “Code City.” Also, use the offender ID number and the inmate’s last name as the “Sender’s account #.”

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!